Literacy Advocacy for All Languages
Project Bridge is a literacy advocacy group for all languages, primarily providing ESL (English as a Second Language) tutoring and multicultural awareness. The program focuses on placing volunteers with the best site for each person based on their personal skill set and experience. These sites include Sunflower Elementary School, Centro Hispano Resource Center, and Lawrence High School. Volunteers do not necessarily need to speak another language to volunteer.
Click here to see all available volunteer needs that Project Bridge offers!
If you are interested in opportunities working with immigrants and refugees, there are more available in Kansas City:
- Mission Adelante – 22 S. 18th St. Kansas City, KS 66102
- Latino ESL – Thursday nights from 6:30 – 8:30 p.m.
- Classes are highly relational and emphasizes verbal practice, no specific expertise or preparation required, and no other language skills (besides English) are required
- Volunteers are needed weekly over a 12-week trimester
- English Club for Immigrants and Refugees – Tuesday nights from 6:30 – 8:30 p.m.
- A fun, informal context for immigrants and refugees from different parts of the world to practice their English and build relationships with Americans and each other
- Guadalupe Centers – 1015 Avenida Cesar E Chavez Kansas City, MO 64108
- Mission is to improve the quality of life for individuals in the Latino communities of Greater Kansas City by providing early childhood, secondary, adult education and workforce training programs, facilitating access to health and social services for all ages, promoting and providing Latino cultural enrichment events, sponsoring social activities that engage diverse communities
- Volunteers can fill out a form here
Email the coordinators at firstname.lastname@example.org if interested in participating or volunteering.
Program Coordinator: Abby Khoury, Emma Johnson, and Fernanda Reyes