Into the Streets Week 2019
Into the Streets Week (ITSW) is KU’s largest advocacy-based service event of the year. Hosted by the KU Center for Community Outreach, the goal of ITSW is to provide students with service opportunities and encourage their participation with the underlying issues facing our local and global communities.
Day 1 | April 4th
Bob Ross Painting Class – April 4th – 2:30 PM – 5:30 PM – Pioneer Ridge Assisted Living
- Join us for a fun Bob Ross style painting tutorial at Pioneer Ridge Assisted Living! Volunteers are invited to come and help lead the night of painting and fun with the residents of Pioneer Ridge.
EcoTalks – April 4th – 6:30 PM – 8:00 PM – Lawrence Public Library
- Come listen to KU professor Stacey Swearingen-White discuss food sustainability and Mike Goodwin of the Kansas Trails Council talk about the art of trail building.
Day 2 | April 5th
Hawk Route Lunch and Learn – April 5th – 11:00 AM – 1:00 PM – Hawk Route -> Anschutz 3 North
- Come experience KU’s Hawk Route! Join us and search for posters to learn the history of accessibility at KU and how to plan events that are inclusive for all.
- After we experience the Hawk Route, a presentation and lunch will be held to discuss inclusivity and how to make on-campus events more accessible to all!
This is a great learning opportunity for leaders of campus organizations!!
Musical Madness – April 5th – 4:00 PM – 5:30 PM – Hillcrest Elementary School
- Join Music Mentors as we educate elementary schoolers about music! Come and see how music can impact kids in our community.
Day 3 | April 6th
Trail Building – April 6th – 9:00 AM – 12:00 PM – Clinton Lake
- Learn how to build a trail and create more throughout Clinton State Park. The first hour and a half will be spent learning how to properly build a trail and the second half will be building!
Day 4 | April 7th
Rest and rejuvenate for a great week of service and advocacy!
Day 5 | April 8th
Jubilee Bistro – April 8th – 6:00 PM – 7:30 PM – First United Methodist Church
- The CCO’s Jubilee Cafe and First United Methodist Church will be hosting a fun night of bingo with a spaghetti dinner and dessert. Open to all. Volunteers will help set up the tables, cook and serve the food, interact with guests during bingo, and clean the dining space and kitchen after the event.
- Volunteers please arrive to prep for the event at 5:00 PM and stay after until 8:00 PM to clean.
Donation Drive – April 8th through April 11th (all week) – 11:00 AM – 1:00 PM – Wescoe Beach
- Join Jawpaws in kick-starting our new program with a donation drive! We will be located on Wescoe Beach Monday through Thursday from 11:00 AM-1:00 PM.
- Be sure to come by on Thursday when we will end the event with dogs or kittens from the Lawrence Humane Society!
Day 6 | April 9th
Community Care Kits with KC for Refugees – April 9th – 7:00 PM – 8:30 PM – English Room in Kansas Union
- Join us for a conversation and hygiene kit building workshop with Linda Zemke, a nonprofit professional working with KC for Refugees, as she shares different ways for volunteers to support refugee communities through service and awareness.
- Linda will be speaking on topics such as housing, food insecurity, and other topics concerning refugees in KC.
Day 7 | April 10th
Spring Into Wellness Festival – April 10th – 3:00 PM – 5:00 PM – Kennedy Elementary School
- Spring into wellness with MILK and Hawks for Health as they partner with Kennedy Elementary and the Boys and Girls Club of Lawrence! Volunteers will be working with kids to learn healthy habits and to promote personal wellness.
- There will be games, crafts, and lots of fun!
Grand Finale | April 11th
ITSW Keynote Event – April 11th – 6:30 PM – 8:00 PM – Kansas Union Ballroom
The Center for Community Outreach presents its keynote event for Into the Streets Week 2019 focusing on food justice.
The panel will present an intersectional discussion led by professionals and advocates who perform food justice work in Lawrence, Kansas. The panel will engage KU students with a discussion that considers race, class, and sustainability as we explore innovative and equitable ways to promote food justice in our community.
- Pantaleon Florez III: Food Security Worker
- Kincaid Dennett: Community Organizer, Kansas Appleseed
- Chef Rick Martin: Chef/Partner of Limestone pizza+kitchen+bar, Advanced Culinary Arts Instructor USD 497, Co-Founder of KitchenScratch
- Amber Lehrman, MSIE, PDC, Permaculturist and KU Environmental Studies Lecturer
- The panel will be moderated by Connie Fiorella Fitzpatrick.
As members of a multicultural institution, the CCO’s goal for ITSW 2018 is to bring diversity, collaboration, and representation to the forefront of conversations on how to make KU a more inclusive place.
Into the Streets Week’s keynote panel is the closing event of CCO’s annual, week-long event aimed at engaging KU students and the Lawrence community in service and advocacy. For more information, visit itsw.fun
Snacks and refreshments will be provided. Individuals with disabilities are encouraged to attend University of Kansas sponsored events. If you require a reasonable accommodation, please contact the Center for Community Outreach at least 10 days prior to the scheduled event at email@example.com or 785-864-4073.